- 5K fun run/walk will benefit Warwick grad
- Oysters on the square: Ted’s tiny diner was a big deal at Broad and Main
- Picturesque parade!
- Heart of Lancaster craft show is Labor Day weekend at Root’s
- Escape Room: real life fun, in a world ruled by virtual games
- Florence Foster Jenkins: the Moravian connection
- Local artists will display works at Gretna show
- Cub Scout Pack 44 welcomes kindergartners in new pilot program
- New book a ‘sign’ of hope for local author
- 50 years of art: Lititz Outdoor Fine Art Show set for July 30
Fundraiser will benefit beloved service dog
A fundraiser has been planned to benefit the medical needs of Charlie, a beloved service dog. Charlie is a very popular pet in Lititz and can be seen all over, especially at the Bulls Head Pub and Tomato Pie Café on the weekends.
He was placed with Lititz resident Angie Piazza almost a year and a half ago to help her with many things &tstr; as she has a rare disorder (Morquio Syndrome IVA) that causes her to be short-statured and requiring the use of a wheelchair 90 percent of the time. He can reach things for her, retrieve items, pick things up off of the ground (even a quarter!) and creates a presence for her, to name just a few of the many tasks Charlie helps with.
In the winter of 2013/14 Angie noticed Charlie limping and took him to the vet. After a few x-rays and a CT scan, Charlie was diagnosed with bi-lateral elbow dysplasia. He will have a surgery within the next few months to slow the progression of the disease and ease Charlie of his pain so that he can continue to work as Angie’s service dog.
The event is set for Friday, June 6 from 6 to 9 p.m. at Commonwealth on Queen, 301 N. Queen St, Lancaster.
There will be several activities going on at the Café, including a silent auction, dog treats for sale, “Team Charlie” t-shirts to order, and books written by Angie Piazza available for purchase. Proceeds will benefit Charlie’s medical fund; the goal is set at $3,000.
T-shirts can also be purchased online and donations can be made at booster.com/charlietheservicedog4.