In first-place showdown, PM edges Warwick 1-0

By on October 8, 2014
 Warwick midfielder Jamie Martin pushes the ball into Penn Manor territory and looks to get a penalty corner for her team last Thursday. (Photo by Preston Whitcraft)

Warwick midfielder Jamie Martin pushes the ball into Penn Manor territory and looks to get a penalty corner for her team last Thursday. (Photo by Preston Whitcraft)

The odds were stacked against Warwick keeper Kailynne Reinoehl.
Within the span of just over two minutes in OT last Thursday, Penn Manor was the beneficiary of two penalty stroke calls.
As Warwick coach Bob Derr saw it, the first of those &tstr; which ended with Carolyn Sloss shooting wide left of the cage &tstr; was the correct ruling, as Lady Warrior back Jaycie St. John made the second of her two defensive saves with stick raised above shoulder level.
The second of the two stroke calls?
“No comment,” Derr replied.
Regardless, when Emily Robb scored with 7:15 left in the extra session, it counted for a 2-1 Penn Manor win over Warwick in a playoff-like atmosphere with first place at stake in Millersville.
When pressed, Derr said, “I didn’t feel that my defender tackled from behind. I thought she was to the side and was defending (the play), but (the officials) have a different view of that. I’m not going to second-guess her call. I thought it was a good, clean play, but it is what it is.”
The victory gave Penn Manor a one-game lead over Warwick as it goes for an eighth-straight Section One crown.
“They’re taking it hard right now,” Derr said of his players. “It’d be a lot easier to play the next two games (CV and Hempfield) after winning this one, but not winning it, it definitely puts us in second place now and we’ve got to hope that somebody knocks (Penn Manor) off.”
Warwick and Penn Manor were each missing a key player due to injury &tstr; Noelle Kephart (concussion) and Cassie Kline (thumb), respectively.
Still, both teams brought their A-game to the first-place showdown. With play going back-and-forth, the Comets built a 5-1 edge in corners in the first half &tstr; 11-6 for the game.
But junior Hannah Weidman was a thorn in PM’s side, using her speed in the flier’s role to break up the Comets’ scoring opportunities.
“(Hannah) and I thought Becky Kauffman did a nice job coming off the bench &tstr; she did a great job at midfield,” Derr said. “The other one that came in and was nice to see what she did was Lauren Sammet.”
Warwick had the only two shots on goal in the first, both coming in rapid-fire succession with just over 4:00 remaining, one of those by Marleise Emrhein. But PM’s Allison Schaeffer (3 saves) was equal to the challenge.
Still scoreless at the break, Penn Manor got the first five corners in the second half, and Reinoehl (6 saves) made a diving save against Robb and then stopped a blast from Sloss to keep it tied. For the game, the Comets outshot Warwick 9-3.
“That was definitely a fan-friendly game,” Derr said. “People who came to watch saw a lot of good hockey, a lot of fast-paced hockey, a lot of change in control of the game.”
Indeed, the momentum eventually shifted to the Lady Warriors, who generated five corners in the final 7:40 of regulation. Two of those came with time expired, but they couldn’t capitalize.
“The girls played really well, but the thing that hurt us was the inability to get corners, and then the corners that we did get, to get a shot off,” Derr said. “That’s been our strength, but we couldn’t trap the ball.”
That set the stage for OT, where Warwick hasn’t had a lot of experience this season.
“We haven’t worked on overtime at all, but I thought they did really well passing the ball around to find the open player, being patient, looking for the attack and then attacking when the opportunity came,” Derr said.
Penn Manor did likewise, and if not for back-to-back defensive stops by St. John, the second of those with her stick above the shoulder, the Comets would have ended it there.
“(The girls) were looking at me and I said, ‘No, you can’t do that,’ but it was a good save, though,” Derr said.
Sloss missed on the stroke, but shortly afterward, with a Warwick player off the field due to a card, the Comets made another rush, which resulted in the second stroke call.
This time, Robb ended it.
“It was a good battle,” Derr said.
On Monday in Witmer, Warwick (11-2 L-L, 12-4-1 overall) bounced back to defeat Conestoga Valley, capitalizing on a goal by Emrhein with 6:19 elapsed in the second half for a 1-0 win.
The victory clinched an L-L playoff berth for the Lady Warriors, who would have locked up second in the Section One standings with a win or tie against Hempfield (10-3 L-L) on Wednesday.
Currently ranked 9th in the latest District Three Triple-A power ratings, Warwick will be in action this Saturday in the L-L playoff quarter-finals.
Entering play this week, the WHS girls had four players in the top five in L-L scoring. Emrhein (17 goals, 6 assists), Casie Stief (9 goals, 12 assists), Kephart (10 goals, 3 assists) and Jamie Martin (5 goals, 11 assists) lead the way for Warwick.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *