Whisler-McDonald Trophy returns to the Warriors

By on January 14, 2015
 Warwick junior Ben Hershey (right) breaks down Manheim Town¬ship’s Victor Kenderdine in the 132-pound bout on Tuesday night. (Photo by Cathy Chapis)

Warwick junior Ben Hershey (right) breaks down Manheim Township’s Victor Kenderdine in the 132-pound bout on Tuesday night. (Photo by Cathy Chapis)

David Brubaker wasn’t lacking for adrenaline as his match at 220 went to overtime on Tuesday night.
“It’s the loudest I’ve ever heard this gym going crazy,” the Warwick senior said.
From the sideline, teammate Austin Maguire kept urging Brubaker to go for the baseball maneuver. Grab the arm of Manheim Township’s Timothy O’Hara, pull it through as if swinging a baseball bat, and pass by.
Finally, with just 13 seconds remaining in the extra session, Brubaker hit the takedown and finished off a riveting 7-5 victory over O’Hara.
“I know he was tired and I kept looking over and coach (Mousetis) says, ‘Heart,’” Brubaker said. “There’s things in life you just push through, and even though I was tired, I kept pushing.”
Brubaker’s hard-fought win was the highlight from a match in which the Warriors knocked off arch-rival Manheim Township 43-26 in a Section One dual in Lititz. With the victory, Warwick reclaimed the Whisler-McDonald Trophy &tstr; which is annually presented to the winner of this rivalry &tstr; for the first time since 2010, when the Warriors won 38-26.
“It (means) everything, especially for these seniors,” Brubaker said. “To get it back for coach McDonald our senior year, it’s a great feeling. It was heartbreaking losing two years in a row to them because this is such a huge rivalry.”
“It’s nice to get it back,” Warwick coach Ned Bushong remarked. “We had it missing for three or four years, but we got it back again and hopefully we can retain it.”
The process toward getting it back started with senior 145-pounder Jakob Kempinski, who took a 3-2 lead after one and then decked Manheim Township’s Patrick Spietel in 3:41 to give the Warriors an early 6-0 lead.
“I think (Kempinski’s fall) really set the tone that, ‘Hey we came to wrestle. We’re going to give it our all,’” Brubaker said. “I thought we came out with a chip on our shoulder. We wrestled really hard.”
At 152, Eric Esbenshade faced one of Township’s top wrestlers in Danny Graves and found himself in a deep hole after one, trailing 9-0. But he limited the Blue Streak senior to a 13-3 major decision.
Township then took its first lead of the night, 10-6, when Nicholas Hershey pinned Jason Coonan in 1:03 in the 160-pound bout.
But the advantage swung back to Warwick for good as Josh Miller won by injury default over Xakellis in the 170-pound bout, and when Eric Garner won by forfeit at 182, the Warriors pulled in front by a 18-10. It was the first of four MT forfeits, to Warwick’s one.
In the 195-pound bout, Avery Quinn battled tough, but Township’s Griffin Schultz scored takedowns in the first two periods and held on for a 6-3 decision, slicing the Warriors’ lead to 21-13.
That set the table for the Brubaker-O’Hara match. The two wrestlers traded second-period reversals, but Brubaker’s escape with :28 left in the stanza put him in front 3-2 heading to the third.
O’Hara pulled even with an escape early in the final stanza, and it remained that way until Brubaker scored what seemed to be the winning points on a takedown with :15 left. But the MT junior countered with a reversal to send the match to overtime.
There, Brubaker ended it on his takedown with 47 seconds elapsed.
“Brubaker had a heck of a match in overtime and worked hard for it,” Bushong said.
“I knew he was going to take a shot because he was leaning in and he shot in and I sprawled,” said Brubaker, who improved to 15-3. “People were telling me it was the turning point of the entire dual. It was pretty huge going into this next week &tstr; it’s going to be death row. We’ve got Penn Manor, they’re a pretty solid team, and then Solanco and then right into Leagues next Friday and Saturday.”
After the forfeit train rolled through &tstr; Maguire (285), Devin Schnupp (113) and Brock Lieberman (120) all won for Warwick, while MT’s Jose Perez took 106 &tstr; the Warriors found themselves up 39-19 with just three bouts left.
Freshman Logan Boring took care of business at 126 for the Warriors, scoring a first-period takedown and three back points on his way to a 12-0 major decision.
Ben Hershey was tied with Township’s Victor Kenderdine 2-2 after one, but ended up suffering a 7-4 loss in the 132-pound match. And then the Blue Streaks’ Jose Lao-Cooper completed the scoring with an 11-1 major in the 138-pound bout.
“I thought our boys wrestled well,” Bushong said. “We did what we had to do. We didn’t give up a lot of bonus points and we had really good bouts. We wrestled their good guys and wrestled them tough.”
Last Thursday, the Warriors won five straight bouts between 195 and 120 to grab a big 30-6 lead and then cruised to a 43-18 victory over Cedar Crest in a Section One match in Cornwall.
For the match, Warwick took eight of 12 bouts, including three falls and three forfeits.
Avery Quinn (:44) at 195, David Brubaker (:27) at 220 and Austin Maguire (3:39) at 285 scored bonus points with pins in Warwick’s early run. Devin Schnupp (113) and Brock Lieberman (120) had their arms raised following Cedar Crest forfeits.
Ben Hershey added a 5-1 decision in the 132-pound bout, while Jakob Kempinski picked up a 14-2 major at 145 and Jason Coonan completed the scoring with a forfeit win at 160.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *