Warwick’s grueling trifecta ends with win over Hempfield Field Hockey

By on September 25, 2013


BRUCE MORGAN Record Express Sports Editor

, Staff Writer

Warwick field hockey coach Bob Derr had reason for concern on Monday.

His team had just finished up a grueling doubleheader on Saturday against Mid-Penn powers Cumberland Valley and Lower Dauphin, who were a combined 17-1.

With very little break, the Lady Warriors were back on the field about 48 hours later to battle Hempfield with a share of first place in the Section One standings at stake.

They responded to the challenge, however, as junior Lucy Reed scored a pair of goals and the Warwick girls swept the season series from the Lady Knights with a 3-1 win in Lititz. Earlier, Warwick shut out Hempfield 5-0.

"I’ve got to give the team a lot of credit," Derr said. "Boy, they have a lot of heart to come back after two tough games on Saturday in the pouring rain … To have not much rest off and then play a tough team in Hempfield on Monday, I was worried. I thought, ‘You know what, we’re setting ourselves up for disaster here.’ But they came through. I’m really proud of them."

The win kept the Lady Warriors (6-1 L-L, 8-3-1 overall) tied with Penn Manor (6-1 L-L) atop the Section One standings. Hempfield (5-2) had forged a three-way tie last week by defeating Penn Manor 1-0 last Thursday, just a couple of days after the Comets had handed the Lady Warriors their first league loss.

Warwick is now looking to finish the league season 5-0 and capture its first Section One title since 2006.

On Monday, the Warwick girls took control in the first half and grabbed a 2-0 lead on goals by Jess Cochis at the 15:14 mark and Reed with 6:58 remaining in the stanza. Noelle Kephart and Jamie Martin both had assists.

Reed’s two-goal performance was her second in as many league games. She also connected twice in Warwick’s 4-0 win over Conestoga Valley last Thursday.

"She’s been struggling since the beginning of the season as far as the scoring department. Now she’s starting to get in the right place at the right time and be able to put the ball in the net," Derr said. "That’s definitely huge for us."

Another thing that was huge for the Lady Warriors on Monday was their defensive effort after Hempfield’s Sarah Helgeson closed the gap to 2-1 with just 1:12 elapsed in the second.

Both teams had eight shots on goal, but the Lady Knights actually held a 13-6 advantage in penalty corners, with the bulk of those coming following the halftime intermission.

Warwick’s defense and keepers Kailynne Reinoehl (5 saves) and Gaby Spatz (2) stood tall, however. Backs Casie Stief, Jaycie St. John, Liz Wolfe and … were all named to the All-Tournament at Lower Dauphin last Saturday.

"Defensively, we did a heck of a job," Derr remarked. "Hempfield came with a lot of pressure on us, especially in the second half. The first half we came out really strong and pretty much controlled and dominated the game. Then the second half, Hempfield had a slew of corners on us, but our defense, especially the last three games, has done extremely well. They’ve been doing a great job of defending the circle and trying to eliminate a lot of penetration."

Finally, with 4:10 remaining, Reed’s second goal of the game gave Warwick a key insurance tally and the Lady Warriors held on.

Saturday afternoon at the Lower Dauphin Tournament, Warwick knocked Cumberland Valley (8-1) from the unbeaten ranks with a 3-2 OT win and advanced to the Lower Dauphin finals, where they suffered a 6-1 loss to the host Lady Falcons.

LD came out clicking on all cylinders, taking a 4-0 first-half lead. Warwick got on the scoreboard in the second half courtesy of Stief, who spoiled the shutout with 1:30 to go.

The Lady Falcons had the advantage in shots (14-3) and corners (10-2), and Warwick keepers Reinoehl (3), Spatz (2) and Megan Bomba (2) combined for seven saves.

In the semi-finals, Liz Wenger’s goal at 11:35 of OT lifted the Lady Warriors to a hard-fought 3-2 win over Cumberland Valley.

Martin assisted on all three of Warwick’s goals and Stief chipped in with a helper.

Noelle Kephart and CV’s Carly Kissinger traded first-half tallies, tying it 1-1 at the half. Maddi Sauve put the Lady Eagles back in front with 8:24 elapsed in the second, but with 11:37 remaining, Marleise Emrhein scored the equalizer to force OT.

In an evenly-played game, both teams had six shots, but CV had a slim 8-7 edge in corners. Reinoehl recorded the win with four saves between the pipes.

Last Thursday, Reed netted two goals and Warwick rebounded from a tough loss to Penn Manor by shutting out Section One rival Conestoga Valley 4-0 in Lititz. The Lady Warriors were dominant with an 18-1 advantage in shots, and Wenger gave them a lead they never lost at 19:52 of the first half. With Warwick still leading just 1-0 at the break, it was still up for grabs. But Reed scored both of her goals in the second half and Stief also found the back of the net to break it open.

More LADY WARRIORS, page B-6

About lititzrecord