Warwick ties Oley Valley on Martin’s late goal Lady Warriors then fall to Crestwood

By on September 4, 2013


BRUCE MORGAN Record Express Sports Editor

, Staff Writer

Photo by Stan Hallâ?©Warwick junior Jamie Martin prepares to fire a shot on the Oley Valley keeper inside the circle as teammate Marleise Emrhein looks on.

Fitness-wise, Warwick head field hockey coach Bob Derr got a good sign from his players last Saturday at Crestwood.

Playing their second game in two days and trailing 5-2 at the half against a tough, well-rested Lady Comets team, Warwick dug deep.

They held Crestwood to no shots and no corners in the second half.

Unfortunately for the Lady Warriors, they were unable to cut into their deficit and went on to drop a 5-2 loss against the defending PIAA State Double-A champs, dropping their record to 0-1-1 in the early going.

But for Derr and his staff, whose squad battled reigning District Three Double-A champ Oley Valley to a 1-1 tie on Friday, it was a constructive start.

"Oley and Crestwood are two top quality programs and that’s the reason why we schedule them so that we can find out what we need to address and work on," Derr said. "So even though we’re 0-1-1 record-wise, we learned a lot about our squad and what we need to do. It’s definitely prepared us for the next team (Hempfield) we’ve got to play on Wednesday (in the Section opener)."

Thomas scored two goals just 3:29 apart early in the first half for Crestwood, which had 14 shots and six corners in the first half.

Junior Jamie Martin scored the first of her two goals at the 14:31 mark, bringing the Lady Warriors within one, but the Lady Comets answered just five seconds later on a goal by Mary Cronauer to regain a two-goal cushion.

"The thing that showed up against Crestwood was that our roll one defense needs to tighten up a little bit better," Derr remarked. "We’re letting people get by. We’re just not low on defense. So that hurt us very huge in that particular game."

Later, Crestwood’s Marissa Surdy and Cronauer connected only 56 seconds apart, pushing the host’s lead to 5-1 with 5:57 left in the first half. But Martin’s second goal, at the 25:28 mark, made it 5-2 going to the half.

Following the break, Warwick managed the bulk of its 11 corners and 11 shots in the second half, but they were unable to beat Kenda Dallas and the Lady Comets held on.

"We still turned the ball over over a great deal," Derr said, "but at least we controlled the game a little bit more and we got more corners and shots than they did (in the second half). In the first half, Crestwood came on like gang-busters. They were very aggressive and they crashed the goal real hard. They jumped on us 5-2 at halftime and then it stayed that way."

Kailynne Reinoehl (6) and Gaby Spatz (3) combined for nine saves in goal for Warwick.

Last Saturday, Martin’s goal with 6:22 left in the second half erased a 1-0 Oley Valley lead and boosted Warwick to a 1-1 tie in Lititz. Liz Wenger’s penalty stroke with 15.5 seconds left in the OT period was saved by OV keeper Yoder to preserve the deadlock.

Earlier, the two teams battled to a 0-0 tie stalemate at the half. Although the Lady Lynx had a 5-3 edge in corners, Warwick held a 2-1 advantage in shots.

Then with 3:24 elapsed in the second, Maggie Fries scored on a rebound to put OV in front 1-0. Nearly 20 minutes later, on Warwick’s second corner of the half, Nikki Calamia took the initial shot and then Martin picked up the loose ball and scored on a reverse stick to pull the Lady Warriors even.

"It shows the fact that we have the capability of coming back," Derr said. "(Oley Valley) was swinging the ball back and trying to swing it around and we were able to be patient and trap them when they were bringing the ball into the midfield."

For the game, OV outcornered Warwick 13-6, but both teams had nine shots on goal. Reinoehl finished with seven stops and Jaycie St. John added a defensive save.

More LADY WARRIORS, page B-3

About lititzrecord