Warriors fall to Mounts in physical contest

By on December 5, 2012

By: JOHN CRAWFORD Record Correspondent, Staff Writer

Photo by Preston WhitcraftWarwick forward Brogan Galbreath splits two Ephrata defenders on a scoring opportunity last Friday at the Lancaster Ice Rink.

Ephrata used a quick start to defeat Warwick, 8-4 in CPIHL action on Friday at the Lancaster Ice Rink.

Josh Buohl had two goals and three assists for five points while Carson Good totaled four points on a goal and three assists for the Mountaineers.

Nathan Weaver had two goals and Casey Witmyer had a goal and an assist for the Warriors.

Ephrata’s Trevor Seibel opened the scoring 35 seconds into the game when a slap shot from the top circle found its way into the net. Buohl picked up his first assist on the play. Buohl and Seibel assisted Steven Zuziak when the freshman scored his ninth goal of the early season with 1:56 gone in the first period.

Warwick’s Brogan Galbreath briefly halted the Mounts’ momentum when he slipped the puck past Ephrata goalie Logan Pogwist to cut the Warriors’ deficit to 2-1 with three minutes gone in the game.

The Mounts (2-4-1) took 66 seconds to restore a two-goal lead when Chase Weik took a hard shot that Warwick goalie Mark Howland turned aside but the Mounts managed to maintain control of the puck. Eventually, Buohl scored from the point.

"We broke out (with) the puck, checked it down and got it kind of deep," recalled Buohl. "I think Weik carried it down and fed it back to me at the point. I shot it high and it made it through."

After four goals in the first 4:06 game time, both teams settled down as the first of many penalties in the contest forced both teams to play defense. Both teams eventually scored power play goals late in the first.

Mountaineer Trevor Boyer scored the first power play goal when he took a long pass from Tyler Gallagher on the left point to the right side of the net. Howland stopped Boyer’s first attempt but he put the rebound past Howland for a 4-1 lead.

Witmyer countered with a Warrior power play goal just 12 seconds before the end of the first period. The Warriors held a two man advantage when he took a pass from Drew White on the left point. Witmyer skated in from the slot before beating Pogwist to cut Ephrata’s lead in half.

The score remained 4-2 through the entire second period as Pogwist and Howland each made seven saves. Penalties became the dominant factor as the Warwick was whistled for five infractions and Ephrata called for six. As a result, neither team kept the offensive rhythm they showed in the first period.

The offenses returned early in the third when Zuziak notched his second of the game with 28 seconds gone in the third to up the Mounts’ lead to 5-2.

Despite the three goal deficit, the Warriors still pressed Ephrata and Nathan Weaver scored on the power play with 4:15 gone in the third to pull Warwick within two.

"The first goal, I got a pass and the one defender stayed in front of me," recalled Weaver. "I shot around him. I couldn’t really see the shot that well. I took a blind shot and it ended up going in."

Evan Anthony and Kyle Joseph picked up assists.

Ephrata began to pull away when Good and Gallagher extended the Mounts’ lead to 7-3 with goals 2:30 apart. A Witmyer face off win lead to Warwick’s shorthanded and final goal with 6:40 left when Weaver put home a slap shot.

"Casey got the face-off, passed it back and from there, I took a one timer that went over (the goalie’s) leg," said Weaver.

Trailing 7-4, Warwick’s chances to pull back lowered with each second that passed and Buohl took a shot that bounced off a Warwick player and into the Warwick net, the final score was set. Buohl seemed unsure how the puck went in the goal. "I think I shot it through the guy’s leg who was covering me and it hit someone," he said. "I couldn’t tell you if it was our team or the other team but it went through. I think it went through the five hole."

Warwick fell to 1-5 with the loss. More ICE HOCKEY, page B-5

About lititzrecord