State hardware for Siegrist

By on March 11, 2015
With only a minute remaining in his 170-pound State Triple-A fifth-place match, Manheim Central’s Jared Siegrist (standing) narrowly misses a match-tying one point escape on the edge of the mat. (Photo by Mike Shull)

With only a minute remaining in his 170-pound State Triple-A fifth-place match, Manheim Central’s Jared Siegrist (standing) narrowly misses a match-tying one point escape on the edge of the mat. (Photo by Mike Shull)

For Manheim Central junior Jared Siegrist, the progression is undeniable.

As a freshman at the District Three Triple-A Wrestling Championships, he went two-and-out.

Ditto for his first trip to States as a sophomore.

This past Friday and Saturday, back at Hershey’s Giant Center for his second straight appearance in the PIAA Triple-A Tournament, Siegrist won two matches and came home with a sixth-place medal in the 170-pound weight class.

“It’s a good progression, I guess,” Siegrist said.

Clearly, his goals were much higher, however.

“Definitely not what I wanted,” he remarked. “But I guess it will have to do for now. I can’t do anything about it.”

Siegrist (37-4) did do something about his loss to Pennridge’s Kyle Gentile in the State consolations last year, defeating the Rams’ junior 7-5 in overtime to reach the semi-finals.

After back-to-back losses dropped him into the fifth-place match last Saturday, those two wrestlers squared off once again, and this time, Gentile (47-6) came away victorious by a 1-0 decision.

Gentile’s second-period escape was the only point of the match. Siegrist started the third in the bottom position and got to his feet on three different occasions, but couldn’t capitalize for the equalizer.

Asked if he was surprised that Gentile managed to hold him down for the third, Siegrist said, “Kinda, yeah … He was riding on my ankles with the front of his shins, so I couldn’t move too much.”

In general, the match was certainly less wide-open than their quarter-final bout, when the two wrestlers combined for four takedowns.

“I think he was less open,” Siegrist said. “He wouldn’t react to my shots as much because he scouted me a little bit more. He knew what was coming, he knew what I did, so he was trying to stay tighter and keep the match closer.”

If Penn Hills’ senior TeShon Campbell knew what was coming in the semi-finals, he couldn’t stop Siegrist’s sweep single takedown with 1:11 left in the first which gave the MC junior an early 2-0 lead.

But Campbell (36-0), the eventual gold-medalist, responded with an escape and a takedown in the final 55 seconds of the period to go up 3-2.

“He was pretty quick,” Siegrist said.

“(Campbell)’s a strong kid, obviously, and we knew he had real nice re-attacks and he was able to get off of our offense and counter-attack and locked up a cradle,” Baron coach Troy Sunderland said. “So Jared had to sorta bail out a little bit and give up the takedown.”

A double-leg shot from Campbell resulted in a takedown with :45 left in the middle stanza, stretching his advantage to 6-2 going to the third.

“(Trailing 6-2), we had almost no choice, we had to go down in the third just to give him a chance,” Sunderland said. “If we go neutral, you’ve got to get three takedowns to win … I think his speed counter-acted Jared’s offense a little bit.”

A second stalling violation against Campbell with 53 seconds remaining cut Siegrist’s deficit to three points, but he could get no closer and the Indians’ senior finished off a 6-3 win.

“When you don’t try to turn anything and you just try to hang on, and the referee only hits (Campbell) once for stalling &tstr; twice to get a point &tstr; it’s easy to ride somebody,” Sunderland said. “I don’t think that was a well-officiated match because there was a locked hands call that was missed (in the third).”

Siegrist’s fall in 3:02 over Scranton senior Niyaz Bakradze (43-6) on Thursday night set up his quarterfinal match against Gentile.

Two takedowns through the first two periods gave Siegrist a 4-3 edge heading to the final stanza. He added to the lead on an escape with 1:49 remaining in the third, but Gentile had some late fireworks, beating the buzzer at the edge of the mat with a tying takedown to force OT.

“It was pretty sneaky, it was pretty good,” Sunderland said of Gentile’s takedown. “He tried to hit a headlock and was sorta slipping, and in that position, you relax a little bit because you feel like it’s a loose headlock. But that was able to set up his little dump series and he had a nice inside control shot and just got it.”

As the match proceeded to OT, Siegrist kept his poise and nailed a sweep single with :10 remaining in the period to ice his 7-5 victory.

“(Jared)’s been able to keep his composure in a lot of those situations,” Sunderland said. “Obviously that was a hard way to give up a takedown (at the end of regulation). It was a good effort by Gentile, no doubt, to get that. We just felt confident. I didn’t really want to protest too much just because we knew (Gentile) was tired and Jared was ready to get him. It was a big win.”

Following his 6-3 loss to Campbell in the semi-finals, he didn’t have much time before returning to the mat for a tough bout against Belle Vernon junior Austin Bell (44-5), whose second-period escape and takedown was the difference in a 3-2 victory.

That was the first of two straight one-point losses for Siegrist &tstr; combined with his 1-0 setback to Gentile in the fifth-place bout &tstr; to end the tournament.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *