Schnupp repeats

By on January 28, 2015
 Warwick junior Devin Schnupp tries to finish a shot against Lancaster Catholic’s Joe Lobeck in the L-L League’s 113-pound championship match last Saturday. Schnupp ended up winning 3-2 in OT to win his second straight League title. (Photo by Preston Whitcraft)

Warwick junior Devin Schnupp tries to finish a shot against Lancaster Catholic’s Joe Lobeck in the L-L League’s 113-pound championship match last Saturday. Schnupp ended up winning 3-2 in OT to win his second straight League title. (Photo by Preston Whitcraft)

Although Devin Schnupp was the Lancaster-Lebanon League’s defending 113-pound champ, the Warwick junior didn’t feel like he had a target on his back last weekend at Garden Spot.

“I don’t see it that way,” Schnupp said. “I don’t know if I ever have. I’ve just got to go out and wrestle. But it’s real nice to win two years in a row.”

Indeed, Schnupp’s 3-2 OT win over Lancaster Catholic’s Joe Lobeck in last Saturday night’s finals, improving his record to 26-1, was real nice for a couple of reasons. In addition to becoming a two-time L-L champ, Schnupp also knocked off one of the top contenders in the District Three Triple-A 113-pound weight class. In his varsity career, he is now 4-0 against Lobeck.

“It’s always a goal (to win the L-L title), but my main goal is definitely to do well in the post-season,” said Schnupp, who is currently ranked second in the District Three 113-pound rankings behind only Exeter sophomore Austin DeSanto.

Schnupp’s L-L gold was one of five medals that the Warriors brought home last Saturday night. Senior Austin Maguire claimed the silver at 285, senior David Brubaker won bronze at 220, Avery Quinn was fourth at 195 and Ben Hershey grabbed a seventh-place medal at 132, helping the Warriors earn a solid 6th-place finish in the team standings. Warwick’s 120 points were just behind Hempfield (132) for fifth place. Penn Manor topped the 23-team field with 212 points, not far ahead of runner-up Solanco (200).

“I thought we wrestled well the whole tournament,” Warrior coach Ned Bushong said. “Even our kids who didn’t place wrestled well. That’s what it’s about. We’re improving as we go along and hopefully things keep on getting better. Some of them a little bit higher than expectations, some of them not quite where they were expecting or would have liked. We lost some very close bouts. They wrestled well and a win or two along the line would have put us in fifth place.”

“Close” wasn’t a word that described either of Schnupp’s first three bouts. In fact, he was only on the mat for a combined 3:23 against his first two opponents &tstr; E-town’s Jason Trimble (fall in 28 seconds) and Pequea Valley’s Max Styer (17-1 tech fall in 2:55). Following a 16-4 major over Spot’s Gary Clark, top-seeded Schnupp found himself in the finals against No. 2-ranked Lobeck.

The two wrestlers traded escapes in regulation and went to OT. After a scoreless first extra session, Lobeck took the bottom position and escaped, but Schnupp answered with a takedown with just :03 left in the period to go up 3-2. It turned out to be the difference in the match.

“I guess I felt that I could push the pace a little more,” Schnupp said. “I got in late in the third period, but couldn’t finish. I just saw a leg and I took it and finished with it by coming around and hooking the leg.”

The referee’s call was met with objection from Catholic coach Thomas Blaszczyk, but Schnupp was confident that he had the takedown.

“I think when the call was made, it could have been controversial,” Schnupp said, “but I definitely think I had the two before time expired. I felt in control. I felt if we would’ve stayed there another 10 seconds, I wouldn’t have gone anywhere.”

Where Maguire and Solanco’s Bo Spiller went in the 285-pound finals was further than either of them had been in their first three matches. Spiller (29-0) had a pair of first-period falls and then a pin in 2:15 over Cedar Crest’s Ross Fisher in the semi-finals. Maguire (26-3), meanwhile, had a semi-final forfeit over ELCO’s Wes Bankus and back-to-back first-period falls over Hempfield’s Andrew Incorvaia (1:00) and Norlebco’s George Thompson (1:11).

It extended Maguire’s streak of first-period falls to 12 matches in a row.

“It wasn’t that the opponents I’m wrestling are bad,” Maguire said. “I’ve just been getting after it in the first period.”

Spiller, though, was a different animal.

He’s the latest Solanco wrestler to star at heavyweight, following in the footsteps of four-time PIAA champ Thomas Haines, who is now wrestling at Ohio State University.

“They just keep rolling out nationally-ranked heavyweights,” Maguire said.

Still, the Warwick senior brought his A-game and was scoreless after one against Spiller.

“I thought I wrestled pretty good,” Maguire said. “That first-period felt good. I felt I needed to take a few more shots than I did.”

In the second, Spiller started on bottom and escaped and eventually pinned Maguire in 3:28.

“I let him out too easily in the second period,” Maguire said. “I should have got on top of him more and tried to break him down … He’s so fast. I don’t know how he caught me. I tried to pull a lightweight move and funk him, but when I went to go around, he just had me stuck on his back.”

In the 220-pound weight class, Brubaker (23-7) had to get through Donegal’s lanky Ben Sweigart (9-5) for the bronze medal. The Warrior senior trailed 1-0 through two, but tied it with an escape early in the third and took a lead he never lost on a takedown with 1:47 left.

“I had my head taped (due to a cut) and I think he tried to exploit that,” Brubaker said. “He kept grinding, so all I did was snap him down and spin. (Sweigart) went because all he was doing was pressuring in. It was really the turning point of the match.”

Sweigart’s escape with 1:40 left made it a one-point match, but Brubaker was able to hold on for the 3-2 victory and a third-place finish.

“We all go for first. Going home Friday night (as a semi-finalist), it’s just one more match until that finals spot, and I really wanted another shot at (Penn Manor’s top-seeded) Zeb Pfeiffer,” Brubaker said, “but I’m happy with third. It’s a building block for Sectionals and other tournaments.”

Brubaker suffered a tough 13-1 loss to CV’s No. 2 seeded Colin Hunt (21-4) in the semi-finals, but bounced back from an injury to defeat Manheim Central’s Elliot Martin 5-3 in the consi semis.

“I went to see the trainer, he told me I have a torn pectoral (from the loss to Hunt) and I’m sitting up there and (the announcers) are calling 390 &tstr; I’m bout number 396 &tstr; and I’m like, ‘Crap, I’m up in six bouts,’” Brubaker recalled. “It was tough in that I had to go right away, but in my mindset, I knew (Martin) was a little less experienced, and wrestling for the coaches I have, it was really helpful.”

From Quinn’s (21-11) standpoint, it was helpful going into the 195-pound third-place bout against Cocalico’s Ben Fromm (21-5) knowing that he had defeated him 1-0 earlier in the tournament.

Asked about his approach for the second meeting, Quinn said, “Really try to do more of the same, but better.”

Unfortunately, though, the Cocalico freshman was able to answer with a 5-2 decision. It was close throughout the match, with Fromm leading just 1-0 after two. He added two back points early in the third, and then Quinn escaped, but Fromm’s takedown with :50 left sealed it.

“I tried to get a front headlock, but I couldn’t get that going,” Quinn recalled. “I tried to get a little more offense on my feet &tstr; the coaches said that was a big problem in my semi-final match. (Fromm) did a good job with his defense on his feet.”

Overall, Quinn went 3-2 in the tournament, including a fall in 1:32 over Garden Spot’s Sam Mancuso in the consolation semi-finals.

“I’m happy with (fourth),” Quinn said. “I was seeded fifth and I thought that maybe I was a little under-seeded, but they always do a good job seeding here. I wanted to place. I wanted to get above a seventh or eighth-place medal. This is my first really being competitive at Leagues, so I really just wanted to place and do my best here … I feel like I can compete in Section One and I feel like if I wrestle my best, maybe Districts is an option.”

In the 132-pound brackets, Hershey (18-9) gave Solanco’s No. 2-seeded &tstr; and eventual champ &tstr; Wyatt Jennings (24-6) all he could handle in a 10-8 loss.

The Warwick junior came back strong with a 16-0 tech fall () over McCaskey’s Wesley Jaccinor to get into the medal rounds. After losing by fall (3;00) to A-C’s eventual bronze-medalist Josh Renninger (24-8), he faced Manheim Central’s Caleb Enck in the seventh-place bout and won 6-1. His reversal and takedown in the second period was all Hershey needed.

“I can’t complain about what we did,” Bushong said of five medalists. “We had boys who wrestled very well.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *