Mounts survive Barons scare

By on September 20, 2017
Manheim  Central  senior  midfielder  Cam  Hartman  (7)  challenges  Ephrata’s Jerel Straley for the ball in Monday night’s game. Photo by Dick Wanner

Manheim Central senior midfielder Cam Hartman (7) challenges Ephrata’s Jerel Straley for the ball in Monday night’s game. Photo by Dick Wanner

Two goals in five-minute span keys Ephrata win

As the current top-ranked AAAA boys soccer team in the District and one of the few unbeaten squads remaining, Ephrata is going to get the other team’s best shot on most nights.

Thus far, the Mounts have been able to overcome that but Monday night at home, they were truly tested by Manheim Central. In a battle for first place in Section Two, the Barons took an early lead and had Ephrata on its heels for most of the first half.

However, as Ephrata has shown it can do, the Mounts struck quickly for a pair of goals in a span of five minutes in the latter stages of the half to grab the lead for good. The teams played evenly the rest of the way, but with no more scoring, the Mounts survived with a 2-1 result.

L-L League scoring leader Andrey Patrushev knotted the game at 1-1 when he put one in the net off an MC defender on a free kick. Aaron Cummings put Ephrata in the lead to stay when he finished a breakaway minutes later as the Mounts moved to a perfect 5-0 in Section Two play (7-0 overall).

“After seven games and you are undefeated, you are going to have a game like this where another team plays very well against you, and hopefully you got enough to get by and move on,” Ephrata Coach rob Deininger said following the win. “That’s just soccer, and tonight we had enough to get by and move on.”

It certainly didn’t come easy, especially in the early going as the Barons (3-2, 5-2-1) came out gunning. A run by MC’s Gareth Kemp resulted in a Baron throw in, and that set up the first score of the game just 5:27 into the contest. Carson Brenize took the throw to the center of the box, and the ball found its way to the foot of Kemp, who was stationed just inside the 18. His ensuing blast beat Ephrata keeper Cole Hummel (6 saves) just inside the left post to give Manheim a 1-0 lead.

Central continued to carry play, forcing a pair of corners and generating several scoring opportunities over the next 15 minutes of play. Fortunately for Ephrata, the Mounts were able to hold the deficit to 1-0 during that stretch.

“I thought we came to play tonight,” Manheim Central Coach Rod Brenize said. “I was proud of our guys. I thought we did some good work tonight. We just didn’t quite have the better of the play on the scoreboard, that’s all.”

Deininger agreed.

“Every time we play Manheim Central it’s a war,” Deininger said. “They are very physical and are extremely aggressive and go to the ball. They have a really good work ethic to offset anything else they got going on, and created some major problems for us. It was probably the first problems we’ve had all year, even though we have had a few close games. This game they did very well against us.

“They just won balls and we just weren’t quite up to the speed of play at the beginning,” he continued. “But the last 20 minutes of that half we got our legs and executed a few things and got the lead.”

First, they tied it with some skill and a little bit of luck at the 15:29 mark when a foul on Cummings resulted in a free kick. Patrushev took it from about 25 yards out, and his shot deflected off a Baron defender who was stationed in front, and the ball caromed into the left corner for the equalizer.

“That’s the way the ball bounces, isn’t it?” Brenize said. “Sometimes you are on the receiving end, and sometimes you are on the giving end. We were on the receiving end tonight.”

Then with 10:50 left in the half, Ephrata would score the go-ahead goal and what turned out to be the game winner. Ben Kamide sent the fleet-footed Cummings on a breakaway, and he didn’t miss, beating MC keeper Mason Nissley (1 save) inside the left post.

“Aaron and Andrey are both very gifted, skilled players and very quick,” Deininger said. “All year long they’ve been our focus as far as goal scoring is concerned. We just need to keep working on that.”

Neither team would find the net in the second half as Ephrata, despite being out-shot (7-3) and out-cornered (5-3), survived.

“We had a pretty good gameplan tonight, but credit Ephrata…they put the ball in the back of the net,” Brenize said.

Last Saturday, Manheim Central battled Fleetwood to a non-league 1-1 tie at Manheim’s Elden Rettew Field.

With the game still scoreless at the half, Brett Kreider got the Barons on the scoreboard in the 53rd minute, with an assist from Zach Reed.

Four minutes later, Fleetwood’s Owen Breisch scored the equalizer, and it remained deadlocked through the remained of regulation and then two 10-minute OT periods.

Manheim Central had the advantage in both shots (7-4) and corner kicks (10-2).

In other action, Hunter Hess’ goal in the 92nd minute was the difference in the Barons’ 1-0 Section One shutout of Cedar Crest in Manheim. Sam Tobias picked up an assist on the game-winner.

Manheim Central outshot the Falcons 11-1 in the game, but Falcon keeper Josh Wildonger had nine saves to give his team a chance.


About digital editor

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *