Barons claim 300th win Boys’ Soccer

By on September 25, 2013


BRUCE MORGAN Record Express Sports Editor

, Staff Writer

With the Manheim Central boys soccer team in the middle of the Section Two race, every win is important for them right now.

Last Saturday, for some icing on the cake, the Barons achieved a milestone win.

Evan Pfoutz scored with just 4:33 remaining in the second half and the Central boys defeated visiting Solanco 1-0 to earn their 300th win in program history at Elden Rettew Field in Manheim.

"I was very happy for our guys that they got to be part of such a historic victory," Barons’ skipper Rod Brenize said.

With the win, Manheim Central improved to 5-0-2 in the Section Two standings (7-1-2 overall).

Brenize acknowledged that he thought the game was destined for OT. But Pfoutz snapped the scoreless stalemate when headed a corner kick insert from Logan Crills and placed the ball over the hands of Solanco goalkeeper Johnathan Kraynak (6 saves).

"I was already prepared to make some changes offensively to create more dangerous chances for our team," Brenize remarked. "I believe in our players and their abilities so I would have been very confident."

Pfoutz scored for the second time in three games when he connected on one of the Barons’ three corner kicks.

"(Evan) has (picked it up offensively)," Brenize said. "Our team will need his continued aggressive style to finish goals if we are to compete for a Section crown."

Barons’ keeper Logan Kready needed to make just one save for the shutout behind another solid defensive effort by Central. It was fifth shutout of the season for the Manheim Central boys, who have allowed just six goals in 10 games.

On Saturday, they outshot the Mules 14-1 and held Solanco to just one corner kick.

"Very pleased," Brenize said of his defense. "Our back line is our strength. They do well changing the point of attack as well as stopping the opposition."

Last Wednesday, Sept. 18, Manheim Central battled Section Two leader Lampeter-Strasburg toe-to-toe for 100 minutes. When the dust settled, it wasn’t enough to determine a winner, as both teams settled for a 1-1 tie in double OT in Lampeter.

Neither team had a ton of scoring chances, with the Pioneers holding a slim 5-4 edge in that category. L-S also had a 5-2 advantage in corner kicks and the host Pioneers connected first when Kevin Fitzgerald scored at 38:47 of the first half.

Then with just eight seconds left to go before the half, Logan Crills got the equalizer, with an assist from John Hershey, and there would no further scoring after that. Logan Kready finished with two saves for Central.

More MC SOCCER, page B-7

About lititzrecord