- Local artists will display works at Gretna show
- Cub Scout Pack 44 welcomes kindergartners in new pilot program
- New book a ‘sign’ of hope for local author
- 50 years of art: Lititz Outdoor Fine Art Show set for July 30
- Police departments plan community events
- The ‘Great Eastern Wizard’ of the Park House hotel
- Manheim woodworker crafts bodies for Martin Guitar
- Siblings homeless after being separated 40 years
- Going, going, gone! Local beer events selling out quickly
- ‘American Idiot’ at EPAC
Zimmerman scores 14 in Warwick’s win over Lebanon
With Bethany Zimmerman scoring eight of her team-high 14 points in the first half, the Warwick girls jumped to an early nine-point lead against Lebanon on Monday night.
That proved big when the Cedars made things interesting later on.
Lebanon got within four, 27-23, heading into the final stanza, but the Lady Warriors held on to earn a 34-31 victory in a Section One-Two crossover game in Lititz.
Warwick’s win, coupled with Penn Manor’s 54-27 loss to Solanco, pulled the Lady Warriors into a tie with the Comets for the second and final L-L League playoff berth in Section One, both with 6-4 league records, heading into the final six games of the regular season. They also took a positive step in the District Three Quad-A power ratings, where they were seeded 17th entering Monday’s play.
Meredith Michel chipped in with 11 points for Warwick (8-8 overall) against the Cedars.
Sophomore Shaela Shellehamer nailed five triples and led the Lebanon girls with a game-high 15 points. She nailed three of those in the second quarter, when the Cedars outscored Warwick 11-7 to close their deficit to 19-14 at the half.
Then Brittany Ulrich dropped in eight of her 11 points in the third quarter, including a 3-pointer, to bring Lebanon within four, 27-23.
But Michel hit from long distance in the fourth for Warwick, and Greta Weidemoyer converted two of three at the foul line to help the Lady Warriors hold on for the win.
Last Thursday, Gillian Glackin scored 14 points to lead Solanco to a 52-40 victory over Warwick in a crossover game in Quarryville.
Makenzie Keys added 13 points for the Mares, who led 30-20 at the half.
Weidemoyer and Zimmerman finished with 10 and nine points, respectively, to lead a balanced scoring effort for Warwick. More LADY WARRIORS, page B-3