- Brickerville Fire Company honors Wilbur May for 68 years of service
- Chocolate Walk tickets on sale now
- Manheim receives three Townie Awards
- Lititz Independence Day: Schedule of Events
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Penn Township, Pleasant View partner for community day
- Witmer earns valedictorian title for Manheim Central’s class of 2015
- Passenger pigeons once flocked to Lititz
- Manheim Central will graduate 235
- Festival of the Red Rose
Thompson receives scholarship with Lions
Penn State head football coach Bill O’Brien announced this past Monday that Deron Thompson, a 2011 Warwick High School grad, was one of five former run-ons who have been added as scholarship players this season.
Thompson, a redshirt sophomore running back, is joined by redshirt junior guard Bryan Davie, redshirt sophomore defensive lineman Carl Nassib, redshirt junior cornerback Devin Pryor and redshirt junior defensive tackle Tyrone Smith as scholarship players for the 2013-14 academic year.
A year ago, the 5-10, 205-pound former Warwick star saw action in six games as a member of the punt return team and he was among the program record 28 Nittany Lions who were named to the Academic All-Big Ten team following the season.
Coming off a 2012 season in which he won a letter on special teams, Thompson had a breakout game in the Blue-White game in the spring, rushing for a game-high 97 yards on 12 carries. That was the Thompson which Warwick fans were accustomed to seeing in 2010, when he became just the second L-L League player to run for more than 2,000 yards in regular-season play, finishing the season with 2,135 rushing yards and 26 TD’s. He was just the fifth L-L player all-time to shatter the 2,000-yard barrier.
His efforts that season earned him Outstanding Back of the Year honors in Section One and he collected L-L League Player of the Year accolades in 2010.
More THOMPSON, page B-3