- Brickerville Fire Company honors Wilbur May for 68 years of service
- Chocolate Walk tickets on sale now
- Manheim receives three Townie Awards
- Lititz Independence Day: Schedule of Events
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Penn Township, Pleasant View partner for community day
- Witmer earns valedictorian title for Manheim Central’s class of 2015
- Passenger pigeons once flocked to Lititz
- Manheim Central will graduate 235
- Festival of the Red Rose
Lititz man guilty of indecent assault and corruption
A local jury convicted a 51-year-old Lititz man of inappropriately touching a 6-year-old girl.
Bruce R. Schmidt was found guilty last week of indecent assault of a child and corruption of minors, both felonies, according to an Intelligencer Journal article.
After three days of testimony before Lancaster County Judge Dennis Reinaker, the jury returned its verdict Thursday morning.
Reinaker then ordered Schmidt to Lancaster County Prison in lieu of $50,000 bail.
Schmidt will be sentenced after a background check is completed.
He will be required to register his whereabouts with police for the rest of his life, according to Assistant District Attorney James Reeder, who won the conviction, the article said.
Schmidt, an acquaintance of the victim’s family, touched the girl at his home on multiple occasions in 2011 and 2012.
The victim first disclosed the abuse to a woman who was a family acquaintance. The woman then contacted police.
The Northern Lancaster County Regional Police filed charges in July 2013, the article said.
At sentencing, Schmidt faces a maximum prison term of 14 years, according to state guidelines.