- ‘Hello, Dolly!’ opens Thursday at EPAC
- ‘Somewhereville Station’ revisits the 50s and 60s
- Manheim Downtown Development Group will dissolve
- MC Art Show doubles in size
- Warwick students are tops at county science fair
- Science fair winner was inspired by his grandparents
- Lititz Community Band seeking members
- Warwick, Manheim Central musicals this weekend
- MCFEE auction, dinner set for March 12
- Benefit concert to support Veterans Honor Park of Lancaster County
William C. Smiley, 88, WWII Navy vet, retired from auto dept. at Sears, Manheim VFW member
William C. Smiley, 88, of Lititz, passed away Wednesday, Aug. 13, 2014, at Lancaster General Hospital.
Born in Syracuse, N.Y., William was the son of the late William and Bulah (Bacon) Smiley.
After a two-week courtship, Bill married Mildred M. (Shopf) Smiley, who survives, on Dec. 21, 1946. Bill and Mildred attributed the longevity of their marriage to doing everything together and being each other’s best friend and trusting the Lord.
After serving in the US Navy Air Corps during World War II, Bill went to work for Sears, in the automotive department, and retired after 35 years. He attended Calvary Church, Lancaster, for over 40 years and was also a life member of Manheim VFW Post #5956, American Legion #34, and was a 30-year member of the Fraternal Order of Police.
Bill was laid to rest in a private graveside service at Conestoga Memorial Park.
In lieu of flowers, contributions in Bill’s name may be made to the Calvary Church Missionary Fund, 1051 Landis Valley Road, Lancaster, PA 17601.
To leave the family an online condolence, visit SnyderFuneralHome.com. Arrangements by Charles F. Snyder, Jr. Funeral Home & Crematory, Lititz.