- Brickerville Fire Company honors Wilbur May for 68 years of service
- Chocolate Walk tickets on sale now
- Manheim receives three Townie Awards
- Lititz Independence Day: Schedule of Events
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Penn Township, Pleasant View partner for community day
- Witmer earns valedictorian title for Manheim Central’s class of 2015
- Passenger pigeons once flocked to Lititz
- Manheim Central will graduate 235
- Festival of the Red Rose
William C. Smiley, 88, WWII Navy vet, retired from auto dept. at Sears, Manheim VFW member
William C. Smiley, 88, of Lititz, passed away Wednesday, Aug. 13, 2014, at Lancaster General Hospital.
Born in Syracuse, N.Y., William was the son of the late William and Bulah (Bacon) Smiley.
After a two-week courtship, Bill married Mildred M. (Shopf) Smiley, who survives, on Dec. 21, 1946. Bill and Mildred attributed the longevity of their marriage to doing everything together and being each other’s best friend and trusting the Lord.
After serving in the US Navy Air Corps during World War II, Bill went to work for Sears, in the automotive department, and retired after 35 years. He attended Calvary Church, Lancaster, for over 40 years and was also a life member of Manheim VFW Post #5956, American Legion #34, and was a 30-year member of the Fraternal Order of Police.
Bill was laid to rest in a private graveside service at Conestoga Memorial Park.
In lieu of flowers, contributions in Bill’s name may be made to the Calvary Church Missionary Fund, 1051 Landis Valley Road, Lancaster, PA 17601.
To leave the family an online condolence, visit SnyderFuneralHome.com. Arrangements by Charles F. Snyder, Jr. Funeral Home & Crematory, Lititz.