- Northwest EMS breaks ground on new Manheim facility
- Entertainment is on the ‘Taste of Lititz’ menu
- A perfect storm election: GOP incumbents prevail
- Warwick hires new solicitor
- July 4 ticket sales under way
- MiniTHON raises nearly $35K
- Illegal burning a hot topic at Elizabeth Twp. meeting
- With a little help from Friends… Manheim Community Pool prepares for 58th season
- Warwick continues MiniTHON tradition
- Manheim Historical Society honors Restore ‘N More
Verna E. Long81, Bell operator, Matthew 25 volunteer
Verna E. Long, 81, died Friday, Oct. 21, 2011 at Heart of Lancaster Hospital.
Born in Lancaster, she was the daughter of the late Lloyd R. and Dora E. Bowman Emmert. Gerald V. Long, her beloved husband of 52 years, died in 2004.
She was a graduate of J. P. McCaskey High School. In addition to raising her children, she worked part-time as a switchboard operator for Bell Telephone and RCA. Verna was a member of St. James Catholic Church and a former member of St. John Neumann Catholic Church, where she sang in the choir. Verna had a long history of volunteerism, most recently at Matthew 25 Thrift Shop and at Lancashire Hall where she sang to the residents. She enjoyed counted cross stitch, scrapbooking, knitting and spending time with family and friends.
Surviving family members are her children: Linda L., wife of Robert C. Lowe II, of Lititz; Richard P., husband of Angela R. Long, of Winston-Salem, N.C.; Carol A. Long, MD, of Asheville, N.C.; and Joan L., wife of Joseph M. Gorlaski, of Lititz; and her grandchildren: Christy; Michael, husband of Karen; Ben; Alycia; Matt; Justin; and Anna.
She was preceded in death by her granddaughter: Cathy Lowe; and by her siblings: Ruth Miller; Ellen Esbenshade; and Paul, Clayton and Edward Emmert.
A mass of Christian burial took place on Oct. 25 at St. James Catholic Church, Lititz, with the Rev. James O’Blaney as celebrant. Interment took place in Cedar Hill Cemetery, Ephrata.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Matthew 25 Thrift Shop, 48 E. Main St., Lititz, PA 17543 or The Helping Hands Fund at Lancaster Catholic High School, 650 Juliette Ave., Lancaster, PA 17601.
To send the family online condolences, visit snyderfuneralhome.com.