- ‘Hello, Dolly!’ opens Thursday at EPAC
- ‘Somewhereville Station’ revisits the 50s and 60s
- Manheim Downtown Development Group will dissolve
- MC Art Show doubles in size
- Warwick students are tops at county science fair
- Science fair winner was inspired by his grandparents
- Lititz Community Band seeking members
- Warwick, Manheim Central musicals this weekend
- MCFEE auction, dinner set for March 12
- Benefit concert to support Veterans Honor Park of Lancaster County
Verna E. Long81, Bell operator, Matthew 25 volunteer
Verna E. Long, 81, died Friday, Oct. 21, 2011 at Heart of Lancaster Hospital.
Born in Lancaster, she was the daughter of the late Lloyd R. and Dora E. Bowman Emmert. Gerald V. Long, her beloved husband of 52 years, died in 2004.
She was a graduate of J. P. McCaskey High School. In addition to raising her children, she worked part-time as a switchboard operator for Bell Telephone and RCA. Verna was a member of St. James Catholic Church and a former member of St. John Neumann Catholic Church, where she sang in the choir. Verna had a long history of volunteerism, most recently at Matthew 25 Thrift Shop and at Lancashire Hall where she sang to the residents. She enjoyed counted cross stitch, scrapbooking, knitting and spending time with family and friends.
Surviving family members are her children: Linda L., wife of Robert C. Lowe II, of Lititz; Richard P., husband of Angela R. Long, of Winston-Salem, N.C.; Carol A. Long, MD, of Asheville, N.C.; and Joan L., wife of Joseph M. Gorlaski, of Lititz; and her grandchildren: Christy; Michael, husband of Karen; Ben; Alycia; Matt; Justin; and Anna.
She was preceded in death by her granddaughter: Cathy Lowe; and by her siblings: Ruth Miller; Ellen Esbenshade; and Paul, Clayton and Edward Emmert.
A mass of Christian burial took place on Oct. 25 at St. James Catholic Church, Lititz, with the Rev. James O’Blaney as celebrant. Interment took place in Cedar Hill Cemetery, Ephrata.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Matthew 25 Thrift Shop, 48 E. Main St., Lititz, PA 17543 or The Helping Hands Fund at Lancaster Catholic High School, 650 Juliette Ave., Lancaster, PA 17601.
To send the family online condolences, visit snyderfuneralhome.com.