- ‘Hello, Dolly!’ opens Thursday at EPAC
- ‘Somewhereville Station’ revisits the 50s and 60s
- Manheim Downtown Development Group will dissolve
- MC Art Show doubles in size
- Warwick students are tops at county science fair
- Science fair winner was inspired by his grandparents
- Lititz Community Band seeking members
- Warwick, Manheim Central musicals this weekend
- MCFEE auction, dinner set for March 12
- Benefit concert to support Veterans Honor Park of Lancaster County
Ruth B. Hess
92, owned and managed bakery, skilled seamstress
Ruth B. Hess, 92, formerly of Akron, went to be with Jesus Aug, 11, 2013, while surrounded by her loved ones at Landis Homes in Lititz. She was the wife of David M. Hess, II for 68 years and was the daughter of Charles and Flora Breneman of Manor Township. Ruth was a charter member of the Akron Mennonite Church. Known for her delicious baked goods, she had her own business and later managed a bake shop in Akron. An avid gardener who shared her bounty with friends, she was also a skilled seamstress. Most importantly, she loved Jesus and was a steadfast wife to her husband and dearly loved her children and grandchildren.
Ruth was preceded in death by brothers: Charles, Ralph, Paul, Earl and Martin and sister: Emma Gochnauer and is survived by sisters: Grace, wife of Ernest Ebersole and Betty, wife of Albert Brubaker. She is survived by five children: David in Gravenhurst, Ontario, Canada; James, husband of Diana in Ephrata; Daniel in Reading; Cheryl, wife of Clyde Erb in Millersville and John, husband of Sharon in Manheim. She was preceded in death by daughter: Phyllis, wife of Timothy Gorno in Lititz. She has 14 grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
A memorial service was held at the Akron Mennonite Church, Akron, Aug. 14, with Pastor Jim Amstutz and Chaplain Donna Mack Shenk officiating. Interment will be private at the convenience of the family.
In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made in Ruth’s memory to Landis Homes Caring Fund, 1001 E. Oregon Rd., Lititz, PA 17543.
Arrangements by Stradling Funeral Homes, Inc., Akron/Ephrata. Online condolences can be given at stradlingfuneralhome.com.