- Brickerville Fire Company honors Wilbur May for 68 years of service
- Chocolate Walk tickets on sale now
- Manheim receives three Townie Awards
- Lititz Independence Day: Schedule of Events
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Penn Township, Pleasant View partner for community day
- Witmer earns valedictorian title for Manheim Central’s class of 2015
- Passenger pigeons once flocked to Lititz
- Manheim Central will graduate 235
- Festival of the Red Rose
Rose M. Ascoli87, telephone pioneer, Brooklyn native
Rose M. Ascoli, 87, of Lancaster, formerly of Lititz, passed away Saturday, July 2, 2011 at Calvary Fellowship Homes.
Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., she was the daughter of the late Pietro and Raffaela (Nardi) Turano. She was the wife of the late Vincent Ascoli, who passed away March 29, 1978.
Rose retired in 1989 as a telephone operator at the New York Telephone Company. She was a member of the Telephone Pioneers of America. She was also a member of AARP and the Lititz Senior Center.
Rose was recognized for her volunteer work at the Lancaster County Office of the Aging. She enjoyed sewing and cooking, and was very family oriented. She loved to spend time and talk with her family.
She is survived by six children: Saverio Ascoli, husband of Eloise; John Ascoli, husband of Sally; Dora L. Ambler, wife of John; Marlene Bruno; Regina M. Gillis, wife of William; and Christopher Ascoli, husband of Catherine; three brothers: Anthony, John and Pasquale Turano; and a sister: Jean Fuzie. She was a proud grandmother of 15 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by a sister: Ida D’Alessio; and a brother: Michael Turano.
A mass of Christian burial was held July 7 at St. James Catholic Church with the Rev. James O’Blaney as Celebrant. Interment was private at Long Island National Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, contributions can be made to a charity of your choice in Rose’s memory.
To send the family online condolences, visit SnyderFuneralHome.com. Charles F. Snyder Jr. Funeral Home & Crematory handled the arrangements.