- 50 years of art: Lititz Outdoor Fine Art Show set for July 30
- Police departments plan community events
- The ‘Great Eastern Wizard’ of the Park House hotel
- Manheim woodworker crafts bodies for Martin Guitar
- Siblings homeless after being separated 40 years
- Going, going, gone! Local beer events selling out quickly
- ‘American Idiot’ at EPAC
- Finally: the Ephrata Brewfest!
- The fallout of 11 MC bomb threats
- Second Friday the 13th
Robert L. ‘Shorty’ Howe, 81, Korea vet, cheesemaker, was ‘62 Lanco Micro Midget champion
Robert L. “Shorty” Howe, 81, of Lititz passed away at home Friday, April 18, 2014.
Born in Lancaster County, he was the son of the late Nathan and Sara Elmer Howe. He was the husband of Sandra L. Coffman Howe.
Bob graduated from New Holland High School in 1950 and served in the US Army during the Korean Conflict. With his father, he was a cheesemaker at Lancaster County Swiss Cheese Co-op. He was also a body shop manager and auto appraiser for many years. Shorty was a race car driver who spent many weekends racing micro midgets, TQs, mini stocks, late models and sprint cars at various East Coast speedways and was the 1962 Lanco Micro Midget champion. He collected racing memorabilia and restored a number of vintage race cars. Bob enjoyed flea markets, bluegrass music, and creating driftwood scenes and benches in his woodshop.
In addition to his wife, he is survived by his children: Amy Kauffman, New Providence and Thomas Howe, Lancaster; and his four grandchildren: Jason and Tyler Kauffman and Aliza and Liana Howe.
A private service will be held at Indiantown Gap National Cemetery at the convenience of the family.
Furman’s Funeral Home, Leola, handled the arrangements. Offer online condolences at FurmanFuneralHome.com.