- ‘Hello, Dolly!’ opens Thursday at EPAC
- ‘Somewhereville Station’ revisits the 50s and 60s
- Manheim Downtown Development Group will dissolve
- MC Art Show doubles in size
- Warwick students are tops at county science fair
- Science fair winner was inspired by his grandparents
- Lititz Community Band seeking members
- Warwick, Manheim Central musicals this weekend
- MCFEE auction, dinner set for March 12
- Benefit concert to support Veterans Honor Park of Lancaster County
Richard Thompson 93, WWII Army veteran
Richard C. Thompson, 93, died Monday, July 30, 2012 at Moravian Manor, Lititz.
Born in Homer, Ohio in 1919, he was the son of the late Charles Sherman and Nellie Rowe Thompson. He was married to the late Harriett Breidau Thompson, who passed away in 1993.
Richard served in the U.S. Army Military Police during WWII and married Harriett in 1945. He worked for the Transcontinental Gas Pipeline Corporation for 31 years, in Chester and York Counties, and retired as a superintendent in 1983. Prior to retirement, he and Harriett moved to Lancaster County, living in Buck and later, Lititz.
Richard is survived by two sons: Donald, husband of Emma Thompson of Severn, Md., and David, husband of Lynn Matthews of West Grove, Pa.; a daughter, Dena Mitchell of Lititz; and six grandchildren: Courtney, Jennifer, Jonathan and Michelle Thompson, and Lindsey and Casey Mitchell.
He was preceded in death by a brother, Charles Robert Thompson.
Relatives and friends are respectfully invited to attend Richard’s Memorial Service on Saturday, August 11, 2012 at 2 p.m. at The Groffs Family Funeral and Cremation Services, Inc., 528 W. Orange St. (corner of Orange and Pine). Private family interment will follow.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Wounded Warrior Project at woundedwarriorproject.org.
Online condolences may be posted to thegroffs.com.