- Brickerville Fire Company honors Wilbur May for 68 years of service
- Chocolate Walk tickets on sale now
- Manheim receives three Townie Awards
- Lititz Independence Day: Schedule of Events
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Penn Township, Pleasant View partner for community day
- Witmer earns valedictorian title for Manheim Central’s class of 2015
- Passenger pigeons once flocked to Lititz
- Manheim Central will graduate 235
- Festival of the Red Rose
Rev. Ernest W. Huston100, assistant pastor, pastor at several area churches
The Rev. Ernest W. Huston passed away Monday, June 4, 2012 at the age of 100 after having been a resident at Luthercare in Lititz since May 1998.
He was born Jan. 16, 1912 at R.D., Central City, the son of John and Lulu (Umberger) Huston.
He was a graduate of Hooversville High School, Hooversville, Susquehanna University, Selinsgrove, and The Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg. He earned a master of sacred theology degree from The Lutheran Theological Seminary of Philadelphia in the Mt. Airy area. He was ordained in the Trinity Lutheran Church, Altoona, by the Allegheny Synod of The United Lutheran Church in America. In 1937, he married Mary Elizabeth Yoder and became pastor of Bethany Lutheran Church, Philadelphia. He also was pastor of Christ Lutheran Church, Oreland, St. Luke Lutheran Church, Roaring Spring, St. Peter Lutheran Church, Neffsville, and the Quakake Lutheran Parish, Tamaqua. He took official retirement on Jan. 31, 1977. During his retirement he served as interim pastor at Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Lancaster; Salem Lutheran Church, Kissel Hill; Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, Ephrata; Zion Lutheran Church, Akron; Grace Lutheran Church, Lancaster; and Zion Lutheran Church, East Petersburg. After Grace Church called a pastor, Rev. Huston became assistant to the pastor. He continued to work at Grace for 16 years until age 90, when he went into full retirement. During his ministerial career he was president of the Ministerial Association in Roaring Spring and was a member of the boards of directors of Camp Sequinota, Gettysburg Lutheran Seminary and Home Missions and Rural Church Work of the Central Pennsylvania Synod of the Lutheran Church in America. He served as mecrologist of the Lower Susquehanna Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America for a number of years during his retirement. He was a member of Zion Lutheran Church, East Petersburg, where, prior to going into full retirement, he served as interim pastor for 17 months concurrent with his last years at Grace Church.
A memorial service was held on June 12 at Zion Lutheran Church, Broad and Lemon streets, East Petersburg, with the Rev. Mary Margaret Ruth and the Rev. Dan Long officiating.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Zion Lutheran Church Memorial Fund in his memory, 1905 Broad St., East Petersburg, PA 17520.