- Brickerville Fire Company honors Wilbur May for 68 years of service
- Chocolate Walk tickets on sale now
- Manheim receives three Townie Awards
- Lititz Independence Day: Schedule of Events
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Penn Township, Pleasant View partner for community day
- Witmer earns valedictorian title for Manheim Central’s class of 2015
- Passenger pigeons once flocked to Lititz
- Manheim Central will graduate 235
- Festival of the Red Rose
Merle V. Ruhl89, retired farmer, church board officer
Merle V. Ruhl, 89, of Elizabethtown, passed away Thursday, Oct. 6, 2011 at Masonic Village, Elizabethtown.
Born in Manheim, he was the son of the late Emerson and Annetta (Alexander) Ruhl. He was the husband of the late Erma Jean (Lehman) Ruhl who died in 1996.
Mr. Ruhl was a farmer all of his life and retired in 1996. He was a member of St. Paul’s United Methodist Church, Elizabethtown, where he served on the board as a trustee, usher and counter. He was also a member of the Elizabethtown Kiwanis. Merle enjoyed hunting small game and deer and always had to have a dog.
He is survived by a son: Wilbur E., husband of Victoria Ruhl, and a daughter: Carole Jean, wife of John Fullerton, all of Elizabethtown; four grandchildren: Sue, wife of Glenn Scott; Philip, husband of Sharon Fullerton; Pam, wife of Pastor Michael Farren: and Terry Ruhl; nine great-grandchildren; and two sisters: Mary Ann Ruhl and Ruth Witman.
Merle was preceded in death by a sister: Miriam Ruhl.
A funeral service was held on Oct. 10 at Miller/Sekely Funeral Services, Elizabethtown. Interment took place in Mount Tunnel Cemetery, Elizabethtown.
If desired, contributions may be made to St. Paul’s United Methodist Church, 398 North Locust Street, Elizabethtown, PA 17022.