- ‘Hello, Dolly!’ opens Thursday at EPAC
- ‘Somewhereville Station’ revisits the 50s and 60s
- Manheim Downtown Development Group will dissolve
- MC Art Show doubles in size
- Warwick students are tops at county science fair
- Science fair winner was inspired by his grandparents
- Lititz Community Band seeking members
- Warwick, Manheim Central musicals this weekend
- MCFEE auction, dinner set for March 12
- Benefit concert to support Veterans Honor Park of Lancaster County
Merla C. Nies 91, Rothsville native, seamstress
Merla C. Nies, 91, of Ephrata, passed away Monday, Jan. 14, 2013 at Lancaster General Hospital.
She was born in Rothsville to the late Monroe and Annie (Lausch) Carvell, and was the wife of the late Fred L. Nies, whom passed away in 1990.
Merla was a member of Ephrata Church of the Nazarene, where she was the eldest member of the church, first attending services in 1930, the year the church was organized.
During her working years, Merla worked as a seamstress for the former Shoreson Company in Rothsville.
Merla is survived by two daughters: Mary Ellen Appel of Odenton, Md.; Judith L., wife of Veryl R. Hess of East Earl; seven grandchildren and 17 great-grandchildren.
In addition to her husband and parents, she was preceded in death by a brother: Luke Carvell; and two sisters: Marcella Isenberg and Miriam Kramer.
A viewing will be held Thursday, Jan. 17 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Ephrata Church of the Nazarene, 110 Durlach Road, Ephrata. An additional viewing will be held Friday from 9 to 10 a.m. at the church, followed by funeral services at 10 a.m. with Rev. Dr. B.W. Hambrick officiating. Interment will take place in the Rothsville Lutheran Cemetery.
Memorial contributions in Merla’s memory may be made to Ephrata Church of the Nazarene, Mission Society, 110 Durlach Road, Ephrata, PA 17522.
Arrangements are being made by Stradling Funeral Homes. Online condolences can be given at stradlingfuneralhome.com.