- Brickerville Fire Company honors Wilbur May for 68 years of service
- Chocolate Walk tickets on sale now
- Manheim receives three Townie Awards
- Lititz Independence Day: Schedule of Events
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Penn Township, Pleasant View partner for community day
- Witmer earns valedictorian title for Manheim Central’s class of 2015
- Passenger pigeons once flocked to Lititz
- Manheim Central will graduate 235
- Festival of the Red Rose
Merla C. Nies 91, Rothsville native, seamstress
Merla C. Nies, 91, of Ephrata, passed away Monday, Jan. 14, 2013 at Lancaster General Hospital.
She was born in Rothsville to the late Monroe and Annie (Lausch) Carvell, and was the wife of the late Fred L. Nies, whom passed away in 1990.
Merla was a member of Ephrata Church of the Nazarene, where she was the eldest member of the church, first attending services in 1930, the year the church was organized.
During her working years, Merla worked as a seamstress for the former Shoreson Company in Rothsville.
Merla is survived by two daughters: Mary Ellen Appel of Odenton, Md.; Judith L., wife of Veryl R. Hess of East Earl; seven grandchildren and 17 great-grandchildren.
In addition to her husband and parents, she was preceded in death by a brother: Luke Carvell; and two sisters: Marcella Isenberg and Miriam Kramer.
A viewing will be held Thursday, Jan. 17 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Ephrata Church of the Nazarene, 110 Durlach Road, Ephrata. An additional viewing will be held Friday from 9 to 10 a.m. at the church, followed by funeral services at 10 a.m. with Rev. Dr. B.W. Hambrick officiating. Interment will take place in the Rothsville Lutheran Cemetery.
Memorial contributions in Merla’s memory may be made to Ephrata Church of the Nazarene, Mission Society, 110 Durlach Road, Ephrata, PA 17522.
Arrangements are being made by Stradling Funeral Homes. Online condolences can be given at stradlingfuneralhome.com.