- 5K fun run/walk will benefit Warwick grad
- Oysters on the square: Ted’s tiny diner was a big deal at Broad and Main
- Picturesque parade!
- Heart of Lancaster craft show is Labor Day weekend at Root’s
- Escape Room: real life fun, in a world ruled by virtual games
- Florence Foster Jenkins: the Moravian connection
- Local artists will display works at Gretna show
- Cub Scout Pack 44 welcomes kindergartners in new pilot program
- New book a ‘sign’ of hope for local author
- 50 years of art: Lititz Outdoor Fine Art Show set for July 30
Matilda Sharpless93, local secretary, square dancer
Matilda "Millie" Sharpless, 93, of Lititz, died Friday, Feb. 17, 2012 at her residence.
She was a homemaker and a secretary.
Her husband, the late William "Bill" E. Sharpless Sr., a former justice of the peace for Warwick Township, died in 1992. They had been married for 53 years.
Millie was born in Philadelphia, the daughter of the late Louis C. and Clara Jakeman Schmid.
She attended Olney High School. Millie had served as her husband’s secretary and was also a secretary for Paul Diem and Sharron Simpkins, both district justices.
Millie’s hobbies were crafts, knitting, square dancing and country music. She and Bill were life member of The Grand Square Club of Lancaster and the Swing-Thru Square Dance Club of Lititz. While members of the Keystone Rovers Square Dance Club, they traveled to Florida, Canada, New York, New Jersey and Nebraska. Millie was also the fan club president of the Younger Brothers Band, a favorite local country music band. She was a member of St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church in Lititz.
Surviving are her sister: Ruth Clements, of Texas; her four grandchildren: William E. III, husband of Carol Clark Sharpless, and Deborah, wife of Paul Castner, both of Florida; Ursula, wife of Daryl Whisler, of Akron; and Jennifer DeHart, wife of Matt Rowe, of Enfield, Conneticut; her four great- grandchildren: Christopher Clark, Crystal Whisler and Lillian and Evan Castner; and her great-great-granddaughter: Ellen Lynn Whisler.
She was preceded in death by her son: William E. Sharpless Jr. and her daughters: Lynne Ellen DeHart and Susan Ellen Laser.
Memorial services will be held at a later time.
Kindly omit flowers, making contributions in Millie’s memory to St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, 200 W. Orange St., Lititz, PA 17543 or to United Zion Retirement Community, 722 Furnace Hills Pike, Lititz, PA 17543-9502.
To send an online condolence, visit snyderfuneralhome.com.