- Brickerville Fire Company honors Wilbur May for 68 years of service
- Chocolate Walk tickets on sale now
- Manheim receives three Townie Awards
- Lititz Independence Day: Schedule of Events
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Penn Township, Pleasant View partner for community day
- Witmer earns valedictorian title for Manheim Central’s class of 2015
- Passenger pigeons once flocked to Lititz
- Manheim Central will graduate 235
- Festival of the Red Rose
Margaret E. Canning101, Moravian Manor resident
Margaret E. (Berkhout) Canning, 101, went to the arms of her Lord May 23, 2012 at Moravian Manor, Lititz.
She was the wife of the late Luke W. Canning, with whom she shared 68 years of marriage, and was born in Hackensack, N.J. on Feb. 22, 1911.
She was the daughter of the late Emilie (Hannaman) and Peter C. Berkhout.
Margaret was a member of Grace United Church of Christ in Lancaster and past member of St. Anne’s and St. John Neuman’s senior groups. She worked at Permutit and retired from Moore Dairies, Lancaster, as office manager. She enjoyed traveling and crocheting and many crafts.
Surviving are daughters: Doris J., wife of Donald Hevener, of Lititz; Nancy J., wife of Lester Farmer, of Wyomissing; and a niece: Carol Hanley, of Kentucky; nine grandchildren; and many great- grandchildren.
She was predeceased by sons: Donald and William G. Canning; and a brother: Edwin Berkhout.
Margaret’s life celebration service was held at Steinman Hall, Moravian Manor, Lititz, on May 26 with Chaplain Richard Thierolf officiating. Interment took place in Conestoga Memorial Park, Lancaster. Spacht Funeral Home, Lititz, has been entrusted with the arrangements. To share fondest memories of Margaret, visit lifecelebration.com.