- Brickerville Fire Company honors Wilbur May for 68 years of service
- Chocolate Walk tickets on sale now
- Manheim receives three Townie Awards
- Lititz Independence Day: Schedule of Events
- ‘The Odd Couple’ turns 50
- Penn Township, Pleasant View partner for community day
- Witmer earns valedictorian title for Manheim Central’s class of 2015
- Passenger pigeons once flocked to Lititz
- Manheim Central will graduate 235
- Festival of the Red Rose
Helen D. Hollyday, 89, Luther Acres resident and volunteer, retired teacher
Helen D. Hollyday, 89, formerly of New Holland, died Tuesday, Aug. 21, 2012, at Luther Acres where she had resided since 1989. Her husband, James H. Hollyday, died in 1986.
Born in Hagerstown, Md., she was the daughter of the late Ira and Maude (Clopper) Downey.
After graduating from Ashland College, Ashland, Ohio, she taught school in Washington and Prince George’s counties, Md., for four years. She returned to teaching in the Eastern Lancaster County School District in 1970 and retired in 1985. Helen was a member of Trinity Lutheran Church, New Holland, and volunteered with Friends of Luther Acres. She was on the board of Lutheran Social Services, Eastern Region, and was a retired member of the National Education Association and Pennsylvania Education Association.
Surviving are her children: James D. Hollyday, of Lansdale; Lillian H. Herbener, of Ephrata; and Daniel H. Hollyday, of Morrow, Ga.; and four grandchildren: Anne Hollyday, Matthew Herbener and Michael and Andrew Hollyday.
She was preceded in death by a brother: Daniel Downey.
A memorial service was held on Aug. 25 at 2 p.m. at the Chapel of the Good Samaritan, Luther Acres, Lititz, with the Rev. Henry E. Herbener officiating. Private interment will be in Rose Hill Cemetery, Hagerstown, Maryland.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be sent in her memory to World Hunger, c/o Trinity Lutheran Church, 221 E. Main St., New Holland, PA 17557 or to Friends of Luther Acres, 600 E. Main St., Lititz, PA 17543.
Arrangements were made by Groff-High Funeral Home, New Holland.