- Youth Lit fest will feature Gordon Korman
- Travelogue will visit Northern Europe
- Field of Screams is a (dysfunctional) family affair
- Spachts honored for years of service
- Lititz women’s chorus seeking new members
- MCFEE Family Breakfast set for Oct. 24
- Cavalcade of Bands set for Halloween
- The Rooster Crows in Lititz
- Art about town
- More Chocolate Walk stops revealed
H. William ‘Bill’ Mitchell
WWII vet, engineer, former Scoutmaster
H. William "Bill" Mitchell passed away Monday, Nov. 18.
Bill was born Nov. 6, 1923 in Williamsport. He was the son of the late Joseph C. and Margaret E. Mitchell, and brother to the late Joseph C. Mitchell, Jr.
In 1950, Bill married Lena "Lee" Risser in the Lititz Moravian chapel. After being among the founding members of the Moravian church in Yardley, Bill and Lee moved to Lititz in 1955 and has since been a resident of Lancaster County.
Bill was a long-time active member of the Lititz Moravian congregation and participated in Sunday School, was a frequent Synod delegate and was instrumental in the creation of the Memorial Garden at the Lititz Moravian cemetery, where he will be interred. He was a co-founder of the Penn-Mar Mission Society and served two terms on the Board of Directors of the Lancaster County Council of Churches.
Bill received the Eagle Scout award and later served as a Scoutmaster. He went on to serve in the Navy, was a World War II veteran and a recipient of the Purple Heart.
Class of ’49 University of Pennsylvania graduate, Bill was a licensed professional engineer. He belonged to the Pennsylvania Society of Professional Engineers.
Bill was preceded in death by wife, Lee and is survived by their two daughters: Barbara (Hammond) and Susan (Duehr) and granddaughter: Elizabeth (Hammond).
In lieu of flowers and in honor of Bill and Lee’s interests, donations can be made to Lititz Moravian Church’s Book of Remembrance fund, the Moravian Manor Foundation, or the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank.
A memorial service will be held Dec. 23 at 11 a.m. at Lititz Moravian Church.