- 5K fun run/walk will benefit Warwick grad
- Oysters on the square: Ted’s tiny diner was a big deal at Broad and Main
- Picturesque parade!
- Heart of Lancaster craft show is Labor Day weekend at Root’s
- Escape Room: real life fun, in a world ruled by virtual games
- Florence Foster Jenkins: the Moravian connection
- Local artists will display works at Gretna show
- Cub Scout Pack 44 welcomes kindergartners in new pilot program
- New book a ‘sign’ of hope for local author
- 50 years of art: Lititz Outdoor Fine Art Show set for July 30
Ethel P. Varholy 85, nurse, St. James volunteer
Ethel P. (Tizekker) Varholy, 85, of Lititz, passed away peacefully on Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013 at Brethren Village.
Born in Nesquehoning, she was the wife of the late Joseph Varholy, who died in 2003, and the daughter of the late John and Anna (Foytik) Tizekker.
She spent her working years helping others, being employed as a licensed practical nurse. She worked both in private duty and for a number of years at Bridgeport Hospital in Connecticut.
Ethel was an active and dedicated member of St. James Catholic Church in Lititz. She took great pleasure in volunteering for the garage and craft sale and the Christmas bazaar.
In addition to gardening and baking, she loved her friends, and Monday night bingo was one of her favorite times to spend with them. She could never resist Jake’s bus trips to Atlantic City or the adventures the girls would share at the casino.
She is survived by her children: Joseph Varholy, Jr. and his wife Pamela of Willington, Conn.; Denise Freeman of South Hampton; and Dennis Varholy and his wife Silvia of Grapevine, Texas; and two granddaughters: Katie Freeman of Lancaster and Danielle Varholy of Austin, Texas.
A Mass of Christian burial was held Feb. 14 at St. James Catholic Church, 505 Woodcrest Ave., Lititz, with Rev. James O’Blaney as celebrant. The family will received friends at the church. Burial is in Stratford, Conn.
In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to Country Gardeners of Eastern Lancaster County, 145 Edgewood Drive, New Holland, PA 17557. Please note "The mini grant program" on the check.
To place a condolence online, visit snyderfuneralhome.com.