- Six inducted into MC Alumni Hall of Fame
- Facelift coming for Rothsville park
- Chiques Creek Watershed Alliance sponsors photo contest
- Lititz will be Rockin’: Festival, ‘NASCAR for bikes,’ returns April 26
- Full of moxie, Ashton Sweitzer takes on Philly
- Spam a little for ‘Spamalot’
- Taste of Lititz returns June 5
- Pix from Route 66
- Crafts & Draughts at JoBoy’s
- Streaks rally from early deficit to beat Warwick
Donnavon D. Shaffer 81, Navy veteran, RCA chemist
Donnavon D. Shaffer, 81, of Lititz, passed away Friday, Sept. 7, 2012 at Hospice & Community Care.
Born in Hyndman, he was the son of the late David E. and Blanche Browning Shaffer. He was married for 30 years to the late D. Louise Cook Shaffer, who passed away in 1992, and later was married for three years to Darlene Welsh.
Donnavon served in the U.S. Navy from 1949 to 1953, stationed on the destroyer USS O’Hare.
He was a graduate of Hyndman High School and received his bachelor’s degree in education in physical sciences and math from Millersville University. He was employed as a chemist at RCA for 43 years and earned two patents and several technical and managerial service awards. He enjoyed golf, motorcycle riding, was a master bridge player and enjoyed spending time with his family. He was a member of the First United Methodist Church of Lancaster.
He is survived by two daughters: Holly, wife of Michael Tshudy, of Lititz; Becky, wife of Thom Holmberg, of Lancaster; and grandsons: Jonathan and Christopher Tshudy, of Lititz.
He was preceded in death by his sisters: Shirley Beck and Mary Gibson; and brothers: William Crawford and Joe Emerick.
His funeral service was held Sept. 12 at the Richard H. Heisey Funeral Home, Lititz. Burial took place in Middle Creek Cemetery.
Contributions may be made in his memory to Hospice & Community Care, P.O. Box 4125, Lancaster, PA 17604-4125.
To send online condolences, visit richardheiseyfuneralhome.com.