- ‘Hello, Dolly!’ opens Thursday at EPAC
- ‘Somewhereville Station’ revisits the 50s and 60s
- Manheim Downtown Development Group will dissolve
- MC Art Show doubles in size
- Warwick students are tops at county science fair
- Science fair winner was inspired by his grandparents
- Lititz Community Band seeking members
- Warwick, Manheim Central musicals this weekend
- MCFEE auction, dinner set for March 12
- Benefit concert to support Veterans Honor Park of Lancaster County
A. Grace Wenger 93, Landis Homes resident, retired teacher, author
A. Grace Wenger, 93, of Landis Homes, passed away Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012.
Born in Upper Leacock Township, she was the daughter of the late Elam M. and Anna Myer Wenger.
A teacher for 39 years, she retired in 1979 from Millersville University and spent the summer teaching at the North Institute of Technology in Shenyang, the Peoples Republic of China. Besides writing curriculum materials for the Mennonite Publishing House, she authored histories of Groffdale Mennonite Church, Landis Homes Retirement Community and Eastern Mennonite Missions.
A graduate of Upper Leacock High School, she received her bachelor’s degree from Elizabethtown College, a master’s degree from the University of Pennsylvania and took additional graduate work at Temple University and the University of Delaware. She was a member of Groffdale Mennonite Church, where she was active in Sunday school and the Sewing Circle. Concerned about housing problems in Lancaster, she was one of the founders of Tabor Community Services. In addition to her quilting, gardening, walking and traveling enjoyments, she was an excellent cook who delighted the palate of many at family gatherings.
The last of her immediate family, she is survived by Joseph Dhansis; his sister: Louise Anderson; along with their other family members whom she lovingly presented as her nephews and nieces. She will be immensely missed by all who traveled her path.
The funeral was held Sept. 10 at Landis Homes West Bethany Chapel, Lititz. Interment took place at Groffdale (Brick) Mennonite Cemetery, Leola.
Memorials are welcomed to: Tabor Community Services, 308 E. King St., Lancaster, PA 17602.
For more information, visit furmanfuneralhome.com.