- Entertainment is on the ‘Taste of Lititz’ menu
- A perfect storm election: GOP incumbents prevail
- Warwick hires new solicitor
- July 4 ticket sales under way
- MiniTHON raises nearly $35K
- Illegal burning a hot topic at Elizabeth Twp. meeting
- With a little help from Friends… Manheim Community Pool prepares for 58th season
- Warwick continues MiniTHON tradition
- Manheim Historical Society honors Restore ‘N More
- MELA: A celebration of Indian culture
Not your run-of-the-mill logo
Warwick Twp. celebrates early industrial history
The township will celebrate its 300th birthday in 2029, and to date it’s never had a symbolic graphic (that we know of). Well, there’s no time like the present to celebrate the past.
The logo was created by Kim Kane Graphic Design Studio in Lititz.
A mill was chosen to reflect Warwick’s agricultural and industrial tradition, as the township contributed greatly to the 18th and 19th century regional economy, an industry that continues to be important to this day. Any mill found in the township is connected to the Lititz Springs creek (Lititz Run). The water in the logo represents the township’s commitment to a comprehensive watershed management plan and its ongoing efforts to improve water quality for our community.
“For generations, mills played an invaluable part in the economics of Warwick Township. Skilled workers, both young and old, helped produce useful products like flour or corn meal, to only name a few,” explained Lititz Historical Foundation President Cory Van Brookhoven. “Although most of the mills in the township are no longer in operation, the buildings (many in their original condition) still remain as a lasting legacy to this very important industry from many years ago.”
Warwick Township was the 11th township formed of the original 17 in Lancaster County. Organization of these municipalities took place June 9, 1729 when magistrates met at the tavern of John Postlewaite near the Conestoga River in Conestoga Township. Warwick Township originally included the townships of Warwick, Elizabeth, Clay and Penn, as well as the Borough of Lititz. Richard Carter was the first settler in the area. He lived near the mouth of the Conestoga River around 1716. Carter was born in Warwickshire, England, and is given credit for naming the municipality Warwick.
“The logo is a very simple approach, but comprehensive in what it represents”, said Dan Zimmerman, township manager.
Mills have existed in the township since the 1740s, possibly earlier, and some continue to operate today. They can be regarded as the direct product of the presence of streams, the richness of the land, and easy access to trade routes. These mills produced a variety of goods including grist, flour, hemp, oil and corn meal. There was also a cooperage mill and saw mill.
Visit the following link on the Warwick Township website for more information on the background of the logo, and additional information on the historic mills within the township: http://www.warwicktownship.org/home/pages/warwick-township-background-on-the-new-logo